Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dry Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Winter Wonderland
Brian and I woke up to snow, snow, and more snow the other morning and I knew I'd have to make something warm and filling to get us going. I love pancakes but I find that I can eat them and be hungry within an hour. I attribute it to the lack of protein and have been looking for ways to make pancakes a more well-rounded meal.

Recently, I discovered pancakes made with ricotta cheese and they were absolutely divine! I just purchased a whole lot of dry cottage cheese on sale, so I decided to give the recipe some tweaks and use what I had on hand.

My initial opinion of these was not very high, the flavour was there, but the dry cheese curds gave it a texture that was too different for me. I have a texture thing though. After the second pancake I had reconciled myself with the texture, and to be totally honest, popped into the toaster oven for lunch, the pancakes were amazing.

Brian loved them from the get-go, so if you aren't skeeved out by unusual texture, you'll probably love them too.

Dry Cottage Cheese Pancakes

3 eggs
1/3 cup milk (I used plain unsweetened soy milk)
1 tablespoon Agave syrup
1 tablespoon Maple syrup

2 cups dry cottage cheese
3/4 cup oat flour (oats whirled in the food processor to make flour)*
1&1/2 tablespoon baking soda

The Troops!

My method:

Lightly beat the eggs, mix in the milk and sweeteners, add the cottage cheese and give it a good stir. Now add the oat flour and baking soda and stir just until moistened.

Texture...

Lightly grease the pan of your choice (I have an electric frying pan that makes pancakes a joy to cook), put a nice sized scoop into the pan and flip it as you would a regular pancake, when it has bubbles breaking the surface in the middle and the sides are cooked through.

In the pan!


After browning on the other side serve them warm with fruit and maple syrup.

Yum!

The Texture Shot!



*whole wheat flour/most types of flour would probably work in this application as well.

2 comments:

Jaclyn Trecartin said...

These look YUMMY!

Brianne! said...

They're pretty tasty! I tried to food process the cheese the other morning and they end up kind of gooey and hard to cook, so sticking with the chunky texture will have to do for now :).